I don’t know about you but I’m not a great fan of packing, but I always have my home essentials that have to come with me everywhere. Here’s what’s going in my suitcase to LA.
- My red Adidas high tops - Most comfy shoes ever!!
- My Kiwi St-Tropez Bikini- here’s hoping I’ll find some time for a bit of sunshine!
- Topshop Jumpsuit, it may actually be sunny enough for me to put this bad boy on.
- Equipment Shirt - one of my favourite pieces in my wardrobe for the Mick Hucknall tour. It’s one of my go-to tops at the moment.
- Narcisco Rodriquez Perfume - This is the only scent I will wear, and have worn as long as I can remember!
- My Oliver People’s sunglasses, which I was lucky enough to get for my birthday this year. Sunglasses it seems are essential in LA
- iPad mini - I would be lost without this
- Deep Sleep Pillow Spray by This Works - it yes it definitely works, the perfect cure for sleeping in unfamiliar places.
- Elemental Herbology Cell Food, which is perfect for keeping your skin feeling nice and nourished especially after a long flight
- Bunny - wherever I go in the world Bunny comes with me, it’s just the way it is!
- My Lyrics Book - absolutely essential for this trip and everyday of the year. It’s where all my inspiration lives and I’m sure LA will provide plenty of it.
LA here I come ———>
One more sleep and I shall be heading to the Hollywood Hills! Just in time to bring you the last two things on my countdown to LA. I obviously couldn’t go without mentioning music, and trips away that involve incredibly long flights (12 hours to LA has to be filled with something!) or a bit of down time most definitely require a soundtrack.
One of the things I’m looking forward to the most is putting my headphones on and zoning out to my playlists. And there is some great music happening right now, which is quite frankly, down right inspiring.
So #2 on my list is having time to perfect my iPod playlist:
Here’s a little glimpse at the artists and songs that will be keeping me entertained
And so to #1 on my Countdown to LA - Well it obviously has to be songwriting with three very talented writers. I have four days of writing ahead of me with, two spent with Drew Lawrence - the man behind Christina Perri’s runaway hit Jar of Hearts, one with Bleu - who has written with Daniel Powter, Demi Lovato & my personal favourite collaboration Hanson, and one day with Heidi Rojos - who has co-written songs for Beyonce, Kelly Clarkson, Gavin DeGraw and Lana Del Ray to mention just a few!
#1 writing a number one!
It’s gong to be a very busy four days but I think I’m going to be like a little kid in a sweet shop!
Only 3 days to go before I jet off to LA, and looking outside my window today it can’t come sooner! I feel like my skin needs some Vitamin D badly. And that is why number 3 on my countdown to LA is of course the LA weather.
Gloomy grey London
Those lucky souls over there enjoy on average 329 days of sun every year, and although I only have one day off from writing in the studio while I’m there, I think I may have to position myself right here all day, perhaps with a cheeky glass of bubbles.
#3 LA Sunshine!
Sunshine poolside LA - take me there now!
So it’s Sunday evening, and what better time to pick up where we left off on the countdown to LA!
Well I couldn’t go without mentioning #5 on the list - Universal Studios, the entertainment capital of LA! I was lucky enough to go to the Universal Studios in Florida when I was a kid, the Jurassic Park ride was definitely a highlight! Hopefully I’ll be able to squeeze a visit in and relive some fond memories - and check out those backlots which I keep hearing so much about. Apparently they filmed some of the Pirates of the Caribbean scenes there.
Speaking of childhood memories, #4 on my list is not so much a place to visit but jumping straight into the place where so many of my favourite 90’s programmes were based or filmed. Namely Saved by the Bell (seriously wanted to go to that high school). I think I can still sing the intro theme tune!
And of course there’s the epic, legendary series that is The Prince of Bel Air, which is still a little guilty pleasure, especially when hungover - it makes for great tv viewing. And yes I still sing all to the theme tune intro. It never gets old!
How can you think of LA and not think of Pretty Woman? The Beverly Wilshire, Rodeo Drive, a bit of every girl wishes they could have that moment when they can walk into a store and say the following words…
Vivian: “I was in here yesterday, you wouldn’t wait on me.”
Shop assistant: “Oh.”
Vivian: “You people work on commission, right?”
Shop assistant: “Yeah.”
Vivian: “Big mistake. Big. Huge. I have to go shopping now.”
…and then spend an obscene amount of money in another shop on Rodeo Drive. Although I won’t be recreating this scene from Pretty Woman I may have to do a little bit of window shopping there instead!
#6 Having a Pretty Woman moment!